Tuesday 4 February 2014

New Stuff...worth a look!

I have had an odd few days, ticking along, minding my own business, and then I was hit by not just one, not two...not even three but FOUR cool new wargamey things all at once! Each alone is worthy of comment but I think they are all worth sharing with you. Take a look for yourselves and see what I mean.....

A Sheerness based trader - I know...who knew! I have spoken to him...his name is Steven and he actually exists...really! He has a website, although he took pains to say that this was a work in progress, that is very promising...he is even stocking Vallejo paint!! But it gets better...I have invited him along to the club where he will eventually bring along some stock for members to buy...especially the paint... take a look at http://wargamesolutions.com/

 Polly Oliver Castings - Remember them? The produced some very nice 15mm AWI figures back in the 1990's but closed in 1999.

The Polly Oliver 6lb gun and crew....nice

Well, they have been bought out and are soon to return to the wargame world! They have a website that is currently under construction and a new blog that promises to be useful. Plans are afoot it seems to add to the range but also to stock supporting items such as an extensive range of quality flags; their words....well, I say 'their', the company seems to be fronted by an enigmatic character call Polly Oliver...the lady herself perhaps? She writes the blog and answers the emails with a very personal touch. Something worth watching I think as Polly seems to have some definite plans! She has asked me to pass on details of the blog and encourage people to follow....and I never refuse a lady....so go take a look. www.pollyoliver.co.uk & http://meetpollyoliver.blogspot.co.uk/

Cool looking game mats - I actually fell over this company whilst looking on the web for something quite unrelated, but I am so glad that I did! look at this...



Neat eh? As their name, Space Mats & Battle Mats, suggests they produce space mats, several different ones, a sea mat and land mats. They are printed onto PVC it seems so are easy to clean and to store...just roll them up! I have invited the owner, Chris, to Broadside, we can only hope :) Chris also says he can make bespoke mats, oh the possibilities. The mats come in a variety of sizes up to 6 x 4 but he seems very flexible and customer related. Take a look at his site https://www.facebook.com/battlemats

Donnybrook: A new set of rules - Damn it! Like I need another bloody distraction!!!!! The League of Augsburg guys have brought out a new set of ostensibly late 17th C. skirmish rules.


They seem to run to the recent popular rule system of one point buying a fixed number of troops, from larger numbers of poor quality troops to small numbers of great ones; bit like Saga. I am told that they will work with almost any period and are gaining widespread interest very quickly. Now you just know where this is going, don't you? The trouble is that I do not think the current range of figures suits such rules, they tend to be a tad 'regimented' in pose, needing a rather looser, skirmishy look. I need to get a set and read them through to see just what is actually needed. This might be just the way I can deal with my worrying 'need' for something late 17th C. without going nuts.....who is with me? .....I can't hear youuuuuu........hello?

15 comments:

  1. Looks like 4 good things there. The Battle mats are defo worth keeping an eye on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clint, glad you liked them...I think the mats could be very interesting!

      Delete
  2. All sounds rather good. I like the idea there's a very local trader i can get my gear from. Although £520 to get the car through it's MOT yesterday means i wont be making too many purchases for a while. The mats sound very similar to a Kickstarter that finished last year that i pledged to.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819121569/frontline-gaming-and-tablewartm-megamattm?mobile=0

    Although these ones are on a neoprene base (similar to mouse mats). I ordered the 6x4 Grassy plains mat and been told its being shipped out from the U.S. this week. So i may be able to bring it to next meeting. Right, im off to put together a WHFB list to settle a old score against a Mate's Lizardmen (dirty cold-blooded savages).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      Ouch! Bloody cars are a nightmare :( I would be very keen to see your new mat, if it arrives in time of course. I shall take a look at the link, thanks....and good luck against the newts, squish a few for me whilst you're at it! :)

      Delete
    2. Please kindly note the newts were ground under the heel of well made Empire boots. Who'd have thought Empire could beat Lizards in a war of attrition, also its always extra satisfying when a mega unit with a super character fails a panic test and gets run down. Mwahahahaha

      Delete
    3. Hi Killer! What a great win, would have loved to have seen the routy bit! Always like to see lizard things get squished....keep up the good work Drew :)

      Delete
  3. I believe there is a look at Donnybrook in Wargames Illustrated 315 (December?) I am certainly intrigued.

    So much to do, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew,
      really, I will have to have a look....bet I dont have that one! And yes, intrigued, thats the word! Like I have the time....but we all know where this is going to end....

      Delete
    2. I have a copy of that WI, I'll bring it to the next meeting.

      Andy

      Delete
    3. Hi Andy,
      That would be great! Although you do realise that you are enabling such addictions???

      Delete
  4. Donnybrook!! I look forward to seeing what army you will pick, I'd have thought you'd go for the Outlaws or the Cultists especially if you where the horrid red and white top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray,
      What a monkey you are! :P I haven't got a copy yet...Cavalier....but I really do not know. Part of me is thinking the little skirmish at Teynham church during the civil war. But I dont really understand what the forces are meant to represent...one figure one man, or small units. once I get my head around that I will be off and running. I imagined the game was to refight marlburian etc skirmishes at 1:1 ratio but I am usually wrong!

      Delete
    2. I don't think there's any scale in it, but looking in the book, for a 4 point army for the army faction, one guy has 3 x 8 figures of musketeers and 1 x 8 of pikemen, with added characters, a hero, standard bearer, drummer and sgt. Each of the characters giving a different bonus during play. As this 4 point army is only allowed 1 standard/flag, its supposed to represent 1 infantry unit of 4 companies.
      The book gives you 8 choices for a force Army, Civilian mob, Covenanter, Cultists, Highlanders, Outlaws, Rapparees & Tribal.
      I'm going for Army and Tribal, I'll be doing the Tangier's War, mainly because I already own loads of Gripping Beast El Cid figures that I'll be using as the Moors and Moroccans.
      But a thing I like is the book gives you other ideas for armies, some that you may have heard of but would never do, because its just too small a period to bother with, but you can with these rules eg The Darien Adventure 1698-99, Argyle Rebellion 1685, Bacon's Rebellion 1676 & the Persecution of the Huguenots 1681-85?? I mean have you ever thought of gaming any of these, because I know I haven't??

      If you want the rules go, straight to the League of augsberg website, its more direct.

      http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/products-cat-1.html

      Delete
    3. Hi Ray,
      Hmmm. so, do you think that several players could play at once as a brigade, each with a unit? That could be interesting, especially as an assualt on a settlement. It does all sound a lot of fun and I completely agree with you about the options it throws open...no cash until the weekend though...oh how am I to wait that long!!!

      Delete
    4. Absolutely, there's no reason why it cannot be a multi-player game.

      Delete